Wool, in its natural state (on a sheep), is naturally antimicrobial because of the lanolin produced by the animal. This is the reason why it is not necessary to wash it with each use.
What to do when buying a new wool diaper cover?
Depending on the marks, it must be washed and lanolized before the first use.
How to take care of your wool between washings:
You will know that you have to wash and relanol your wool when odors will appear, the wool will become wet very quickly or the diaper will begin to leak. The wool must be allowed to dry between uses to maintain its effectiveness. It is not necessary to lanolise the wool after each wash.
1. Fill the sink (or other) with lukewarm water (30 degrees maximum), then add about a teaspoon of mild soap (baby shampoo for example, or a soap specially made for wool). Do not use ordinary laundry detergent.
2. Gently shake the wool in soapy water to soak thoroughly and soak for 15 to 30 minutes.
3. Rinse gently and press on the wool to remove excess water. Do not twist the wool, it could warp (wrapping it in a bath towel, and walking on it, is perfect for faster drying).
It is even possible to wring it in the washing machine (maximum 500 rpm), and to dry flat.
Wool / hand program only, 30 degrees maximum, maximum spin speed 500 rpm. Follow the recommended dosage on the wool care product.
After washing the wool:
1. For a freshly washed wool cover, add 1/4 teaspoon (or 1/2 level teaspoon for Longies) of pure wool wax with a few drops of dishwashing liquid or baby shampoo to a cup of hot water. Stir the mixture until you have a white liquid and any lumps of wax have dissolved.
2. Pour this liquid solution into appoximately two litres of lukewarm water and stir to mix.
3. Turn the washed wool covers inside out and slide them into the solution. Do not rub or knead the wool cover. Leave the cover to absorb the wool wax and for the water to cool down.
4. Remove the cooled wool cover and spin in the washing machine at a maximum of 500. Alternatively you can press the cover between two towels to remove any excess liquid.
5. Lay out flat and leave to dry. Finished!